PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Val d'Anniviers Airplane Crash
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2011, 06:57
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think anyone (serious) mentioned aerobatics in a Baron.

It is kind of rare to see a "high end" aeroplane involved in a crash caused by a stupid mistake, and Twins generally are involved in far less accidents than SEPs such as low power Cessna Bird Dogs messing around with rising terrain and high density altitude. That is why I am interested.

Most of the deaths in Twins are in IMC conditions (CFIT) - check the NTSB if you want proof. Most of the pilots are more experienced (have to be for insurance if nothing else). I've been snowboarding in the Alps many times and know what it is like at the top of some of these mountains in windy conditions though to be fair if it gets too windy (30kts) they shut the chair lifts. This is rare too.

However there are many glorious, sunny, still days too and you get lots of para-skiers going from the tops without issue. You also get loads of balloons going over the Alps as well as medical choppers flying between the mountains regularly. This looks like one of those sunny days to me.

I doub't very much the pilot "just flew into a ridge" unless he was showing off and trying to get some good photos. Again I doubt this. Also had he hit the ridge at speed, the wings would have been bust. Had he been trying to climb, the tail would be bust.