PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotorway Corner
Thread: Rotorway Corner
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2002, 18:54
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-SPOT,

There was a very long thread on the Rotorway Exec some time ago on here, with lots of detail. If you do a search you might be able to find it. There was someone on Rotorheads at that time who owned one, but I don't know if he's still around.

Anyway, I'll tell you what very little I know or have heard. I vaguely know two guys (twins) who've got one, and despite the fact they're both engineers, they said it took far longer to build than they expected, and they wouldn't do it again. They also said a lot of maintenance time was required, but I think that may apply to all helicopters, though I think the chap on Rotorheads said the same thing. I was STRONGLY advised against getting one on safety grounds by someone who was familiar with them in the US, where they seem to have a lot of accidents. As to how hard they are to fly, I don't think they have a governor, which isn't that big a deal, but certainly would take a bit of getting used to if you'd trained on an R22.

The TV programme did indeed make it look wonderful, and very easy to build and fly. The trouble is, no-one else seems to agree. Shame, as it's a very pretty helicopter, and almost affordable.