PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots didn't know about evacuation
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2011, 03:00
david1300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@411b - I have clearly stated that I am a frequent passenger - one of those irritating SLF's. But it's not just my experience in flying that's relevant.

I'm applying my knowledge, training and experience from other fields (decision making under stress, for example - were the Manchester FD crew misled by following acp's so they didn't look outside and asses the risks the acp's didn't consider - like strength and direction of the wind). Also relevant is my burning desire to stay alive.

Personally, I am with BOAC in his belief that what the SCCM said and what she intended may have been different - another of my areas of knowledge, training and experience: communication under stress, where what the person says may not be exactly what they intend to convey; and where the person hearing filters what they hear to fit their paradigm.

And 411c, it is clear from your posting history that you are disdainful of almost everyone, even those who have substantial flying experience as a pilot (your attitude is consistent - you have nothing more to learn, but plenty to teach).

This discussion is all based on an incident where a SCCM initiated an evacuation. It is an incident with more relevance to decision making, communication and chains of command, than it has to piloting skills; not that I expect you to notice this. I don't therefore see the relevance of your question: "it would be helpful to know your personal airline flying experience...as a pilot, in order to ascertain whether your remarks (such as they are) are at all relevant to the present discussion.what does airline flying experience as a pilot" I know this will come as a surprise to you, but there are people who know a lot, and they are not pilots!

The relevance of my remarks are, I suggest, greater in this case than yours - the decision making was more to do with human factors than with flying skills. The learning and future improvement will come more from better decision making and communication, than it will from being a better pilot.