PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPhone apps for Pilots
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2011, 02:38
Shagpile

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I also assume that doing this in-app, bypasses apple??
Yeah external means Apple don't get 30%, but expect this to change.

Apple have now abused their dominant market position by forcing every single app that offers an external subscription, to also offer an internal (in-app) subscription. Developers have a couple of months to comply.

This means that if somebody buys a years subscription from a company's website, then the company will get all the money. However they must also offer an in-app purchase option for the same price (or less). If the user buys the Subscription in-app, then Apple automatically get 30%.

And guess which one people will do - the easier in-app one. Doesn't go well with a lot of content providers and there are already talks of anti-trust lawsuits against Apple, kind of like how Microsoft abused their market position.

I assume that we pay you when the month period runs out?
Whenever you want - it just adds 1 year onto whatever the expiry date is. If it says expired it just adds 1 year from today.

I think we're close to getting some clarification from CASA. I've tracked down the guy in charge of developing EFB policy & awaiting his response. Hopefully Australia copies the FAA policy of allowing EFB's for all small, non-commercial aircraft at the Captain's discretion.