PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots didn't know about evacuation
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2011, 01:46
david1300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@BOAC & M.Mouse - my point is that the Manchester crew, even though following 'accepted company procedures', did not make the optimal decision (therefore, made a mistake). As you stated, since then "...abandoned take-off procedures changed to include (flight crew) taking into account the prevailing wind in similar circumstances". But in this case following 'accepted company procedures' resulted in many deaths.

I question whether the Manchester crew did nothing wrong - if following 'accepted company procedures' means not evaluating all risk factors and making a decision with a bad (fatal) outcome, is that right or is it wrong?

In this case I side with the SCCM, and I still hold my view: Personally, I prefer the mistake the SCCM made in this instance to the one made at Manchester. And MM, you are welcome to your personal view that this is ignorant and ill-informed, but I suggest that is just your ignorant and ill-formed personal view.

For comparison:

SCCM mistake - not following 'accepted company procedures' in what turned out to be a non-life threatening situation - outcome: minor injuries to a few, lots of criticism, opportunity to learn and improve practices

Manchester mistake - following 'accepted company procedures', not being aware of all risk factors (possibly because of following acp's) - outcome disaster for many