PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Star - Action Needs To Be Taken
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2011, 22:37
balance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is not a safety argument
Sorry. Yes it is.

In answer to your question about NDB's ILS's uncontrolled etc. These cadets at 300 odd hours are quite capable of operating aircraft such as MD 80's, 737's analogue or glass variants, on reverse arcs to LLZ approaches in mosoonal WX to the minimum. They are capable of (and are) operating into military airfields conducting GCA, PAR and ASR approaches. VOR approaches to the minima with circling to the rciprocal, at night in moutainous terrain. Operating in joint civil military airfields with parallel, contra rotating circuits, with 6 training jets in the circuit on the right runway doing left circuits while the civil runs a right circuit off the left runway. NDB's and OCTA, easy ****. Don't believe it? Been there done that. Get out and see what happens in the rest of the world.
Yup, I've been out there, seen and done that. I don't believe that I have seen what you describe above. If it does happen without my knowledge, then I'm very frightened by the possibility of a low hour captain flying an MD-80 with a 300 hour cadet pilot on an reverse arc to a LLZ approach in monsoonal weather at minimas.

I wouldn't put my wife or kids on that aeroplane. If you would, then you don't love them very much.

I cannot recall an accident where the flying pilot was an ex cadet, operating from the right seat. I can recall many accidents where the flying pilot was a low hour left seat.
Are you therefore suggesting that this is therefore a safe operation? Just because it hasn't happened? If so, then THAT is a worry.

I'd suggest that such an operation has a systemic LATENT failure, just waiting to rear its ugly head.

For me, placing the wife and kids on an aeroplane is the litmus test. At this stage, they won't be flying Jetstar.