PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paying for your rating !!!
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2011, 22:20
His dudeness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a grip you guys that cast aside SSTR guys due to some obnoxious belief we are all young (without commitment), rich, spoilt and privileged queue jumpers.
Superpilot, whilst there are some rich, spoilt and privileged queue jumpers, I guess most of us having a job are quite aware of how the market - and not alone in the UK - looks like. I have a lot of sympathy for you guys, I was unemployed once as well and when I joined aviation in early 1990 the market was also tits up.

IF, a big IF and - I admit it - in all likelyhood it won´t happen, no one would buy a TR him/herself, the airlines/operators would have to do that.

I think that is clear. Its also clear that the airlines did that when I was quite a bit younger.

Now what is also clear, is the fact that IF we - the pilots - continue to do what we are doing now, the profession won´t earn one a living any more. This will take some time. Whilst I have "only" 23 years to retirement, you (I presume) young dudes need to earn something the next 43,44,45 years.

So the concern I have is more for your future than for mine. If things don´t go too wrong I´ll retire at my current position. (at least I hope it).

Again, I feel very sorry for everyone that is unemployed.
But this stuff has to end. Otherwise you might need a second job besides flying just to be able to live. For the whole career. Think about it. And if you´re in coorperate or air taxi work, you will be in contact and fly people that earn your yearly wage in day.
Have a bird strike, engine goes to the shop, 250000USD gone. Owner does not care. 20.000 for TR is too much?

Buy catering in Moscow for 8 people, for one flight, thats roughly 3000 USD.
20.000 for a TR is too much ?
A toilet service is on average a 150 USD, so the equivalent of 133 toilet services is too much ?

I´m far from being a communist, but we - as a society, not only us pilots - have to take a stand. Otherwise we´re back to square 1 aka the circiumstances our ancestors lived in and fought against. (Unions, labour rights etcetc.)