PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Star - Action Needs To Be Taken
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2011, 21:30
scam sniffer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RENURPP Serious answer.

Let me state first up I think the whole J* bit is a cynical moneygrabbing, exploitative disgrace.

Pilot employment/deployment like any other comodity/resource, is a matter of supply and demand. At this time, and it has been thus forever, the supply of pilots in Australia exceeds the demand. In that circumstance, one could ask why is it necessary to artificially introduce more resources on the supply side? Gordon Geko might be able to give some insight into that rationale.

Having said that, there is a requirement, in some parts of the world, to introduce a viable strream of candidates for employment. Many countries do not have the GA structure of the US and us. They simply cannot find the number of qualified pilots required, within their own nationals. These countries must resort to a cadet program. Almost invariably those programs are sponsored. Cadets are requred in certain circumstances, but not in Australia.

As to the cadets themselves. Having flown with a considerable number, I have found the product to be, generally, very competent. This has been due in large part to the quality of training, a significant part of which is carried out in Australia and the US.

Procedurally most are excellent. Understandably decision making process' and rat cunning are very formative. Those will come with time. The safety of the system is in the provision of adequate supervisory experience in the left seat. Where any of these cadet programs/models will come unstuck is with the pairing of low time left seat with no time right seat. For this reason, in my view, if a cadet program is to be introduced , there should be a minimum total time on the flight deck, say 5-6,000 hours. Then a newbie will only be paired with an adequately experienced partner, whichever seat the newbie is in.

In answer to your question about NDB's ILS's uncontrolled etc. These cadets at 300 odd hours are quite capable of operating aircraft such as MD 80's, 737's analogue or glass variants, on reverse arcs to LLZ approaches in mosoonal WX to the minimum. They are capable of (and are) operating into military airfields conducting GCA, PAR and ASR approaches. VOR approaches to the minima with circling to the rciprocal, at night in moutainous terrain. Operating in joint civil military airfields with parallel, contra rotating circuits, with 6 training jets in the circuit on the right runway doing left circuits while the civil runs a right circuit off the left runway. NDB's and OCTA, easy ****. Don't believe it? Been there done that. Get out and see what happens in the rest of the world.

I cannot recall an accident where the flying pilot was an ex cadet, operating from the right seat. I can recall many accidents where the flying pilot was a low hour left seat. However my grey matter is decidely grey, and I stand to be corrected.

This is not a safety argument, it is an argument as to whether or not an expensive self funded cadet program is appropriate and beneficial to the Australian aviation environment. In my view it is not. However to argue on safety grounds I am afraid will leave you exposed to the realities of the rest of the world, and may not achieve the desired outcome.

SS