PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2011, 21:23
Flapping_Madly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgive me for repeating this post I made in the other thread on 3 December.

Believe me my question is NOT intended in any way to provoke any sort of argument because I am totally ill equipped to have an argument with anyone . But I do wonder sometimes if Rolls Royce make aero engines these days or just assemble them --they seem to buy in bits from all over the world. Does this strain quality control?
When I was a kid the impression was that they made everything -even all nuts and bolts--from alloys they made themselves in their own foundries. They had, it seemed, total control.

Who made the apparently crude oil pipe for them?

As I read the unfolding story on this thread this question of mine nags at me more and more. Is there inherent danger in buying in parts from all over the world instead of making them yourself?

And please can I ask another question?

Why do RR need so many different engines? It seems like every new plane has to have its own engine type. Someone on this or the other thread has already asked why RR do not replace the 900 on the A380 with two pairs of different proven reliable engines to give the same thrust.
Same as before I am not trying to stir anything at all. I am just SLF whose father worked at RR for 40 years in Experimental Dept at Sinfin.