PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2011, 20:02
Annex14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bolty McBolt

I believe DERG has quoted press releases that Qantas made earlier this year in connection with an affidavit at a court against RR. Reason beside many other items was the RR - information/recommendation/ mandation what so ever one may call it - that using the T972īs with 540 psi at p30 - as I understand the max. perm. TOP - would make it necessary to change engines - even "mod C " after 75 such cycles.
This information was posted in this thread before and untill now it has not come to public that this restriction was lifted.

So if you write that QF flies daily A 380 service to LAX that either implicates that these flight are narrowly controlled and after 75 cycles the mentioned engine change silently takes place, or there is another modification made on that engine - probably called "mod D" - that has eliminated the concerns that led RR to issue such a severe restriction.

Never the less in my opinion you`re sounding very confident - overconfident may be ?? - having in mind the fact that the spline AD is still valid and even the newest engines must be inspected after 200 cycles and follow on at 100 cycles. (s.a. EASA AD-No: 2010-0242 R1)

Could it be that the members of this net simply have missed an important change in regulatory paperwork for the daily usage of the RR T972 ??