PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Peanut Alergies and Flying
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2011, 18:17
JCBeadle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nut Allergies

Hi everyone,

Ok so here's my story - I attended a Class One Medical at the CAA at Gatwick last December and passed everything including an exercise spirometry test for my asthma. So all well and good! BUT I have a nut allergy, and the CAA wanted me to see an immunologist, so I did and sent the report back to the CAA who advised me before that the likelihood is that my medical would just limit me to working in multicrew (which is fine, because I want to work for the airlines anyway!) I got a call from them today and they told me that they could only issue me an unrestircted Class two medical which would be fine for private flying etc, and that it would last 5 years. But this is the problem, I don't understand why they won't issue me a class one medical? They are sending me a letter to explain but it was all gobble di gook over the phone! They also said to me that when Easa bring in new rules next April, there is a possibility that they could refuse my application to upgrade my Class 2 into a Class 1?!

My nut allergy is not severe before everyone says I told you so! In fact the results were interesting. My peanut allergy came out really weak, Cashews came out negative. The main reaction was with brazil nuts which is much easier to avoid than peanuts, and also adding the fact that i havn't had a major reaction for almost 20 years and have never been incapacitated or taken to hospital because of it.

Please, if anyone has had any experience of this PM me, I would like to hear other people's experiences or criticisms, as I am really stuck as what to do. I will probably go and get some advice from an AME near Gatwick and see if I can argue my case that my nut allergy really isn't that severe. (I won't die from being in the same room as a nut, but making sure that nut isn't the person sitting next to me trying to work my epipen!)

I appreciate all responses and please PM me if you have naything to say!