PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 16th Feb 2011, 17:26
Lonewolf_50

Received 415 Likes on 258 Posts
212, if the S-92 is similar to the Hawk series (S-70 derivatives) IIRC the main generators dropoff when Nr droops in the Nr = low 90's high 80's. (The number in my memory is 92% but that might not be right).
EDIT: Heh, memory is not all bad ... from the FCF checklist a few iterations ago ...

b. Underfrequency protection — Test.
(1) No. 1 and No. 2 PCLs — Retard slowly.
(2) #1 GEN and #2 GEN cautions — Appear between 92 and 97 percent N
r. Allow a 3-second time delay. Note Nr.
(3) No. 1 and No. 2 PCLs — FLY. Note #1 GEN and #2 GEN cautions disappear.

I think that in the Cougar mishap, the backup generator (powered by the APU) was up and running. That said, in the Hawk series, the switch over from #1 / #2 gen to Backup Gen powering the various AC and DC busses isn't what I'd call seamless. (TYpically SAS and AFCS kick off, though I don't think Boost would kick). I'll guess it isn't in the S-92. (I think this has been addressed both in this thread, and in the TSBoC report).

EDIT: More data that my memory isn't completely shot.

Power transfer from the APU generator or EXT PWR to the No. 1 generator may cause disengagement of SAS 1, SAS 2, TRIM, AUTO PLT, and stabilator.

SansAn ... thanks for the training manual, it restores a bit that was lost in memory.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 16th Feb 2011 at 17:42.