PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Noise, Parliament and Manchester
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2001, 22:19
PFR
Gamekeeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thank you for your replies Sky 9 and Cossack. Get the impression Cossack that your somewhat frustrated by my offerings, apologies if I've touched a raw nerve. Appreciate that MIA has come in for a lot of flack since the opening of R2, especially from residents of Knutsford. For one I appreciate that as controllers & pilots respectively your doing your jobs and with procedures that may not be ideal but have indeed been developed with consideration to the surrounding community. Just wondered if these could be improved upon.
Ref your observation for residents suffering 80% of the disturbance at the 24 end, for sure residents living under 24R have far more to tolerate and have done so since MIA was Ringway. However if the infrastructure was such that 24L could be used predominately for arrivals and 24R for departures both communities would surely gain benefit and no doubt residents at Wythenshawe and Stockport would be grateful for the relief. Again ground operations and infrastructure issues would need changing together no doubt with procedures to ensure that operators wouldn't suffer in getting to the terminals, a plus for the current situation with 24R as the arriving runway.
Appreciate that all these ideas have cost implications especially infrastructure changes, new taxiways etc (merging of road tunnels), but what price good community relations.
PFR