PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2011, 11:41
Matt101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calypso
Will you guys stop telling everyone to wait for the final report, it is getting a bit tedious. This thread is useful for those of us that are interested in the chains of events that lead to an accident and how to avoid them. They DO involve speculation and exploring dead alleyways but are nevertheless informative.
The thing is, when you come on to read this thread you are presented with 25 pages of reading, of which 23 are complete twaddle and so it becomes increasingly tedious trying to sort out the useful, factual information from the less so.

I cannot thank enough those contributors who can tell us about the Metro, the actual observed weather on the day, the state of the aircraft post accident, provide pictures or pass on information and statements from the investigators, they provide more than enough information to continue an interesting debate about the incident, one that doesn't disrespect the lost airmen or the profession.

However when I read the thread at the moment I can reach the bottom of the page having witnessed a debate about the meaning of DA and speculation that DA was busted, or that the aircraft suffered an engine failure (in contradiction to what the investigators have said) or that the aircraft popped out the clouds upside down pointing at the terminal. All entirely confusing information for which we have no evidence and more worryingly information that may be taken at face value by other readers.

All we know really is that the right wing made contact with the runway (according to pax statement), we also know thanks to a metro pilot and a few engineers that the last section of the wing is particularly frangible, we know the aircraft subsequently inverted, continued along the runway for a number of yards before coming to rest off the edge of the runway in boggy ground.

The weather was crappy however we are not yet in possession of RVR's given by ATC at the time of the third approach. So far as the AAIB have said the aircraft was in working order prior to impact.

We might be able to reasonably guess that the cause of the aircraft ending up where it did is due to the wing tip strike (though it's still not a certain), what we shouldn't be speculating is the reason that occurred.

Off hand I could think of at least a dozen reasons, given time and a sharper mind I'm sure we could all think of many more, but this isn't supposed to be treated as a guessing game.

The tendency to fall into talking about minimas, engine out situations, p-factor etc, is fine but I just don't think it should happen on this thread, they're interesting topics but could we not segregate interesting topics which as yet have nothing to do with this accident from the thread so that we can all be spared having to read about it in some crappy report in the Daily Mail where a Journalist has quoted PPRuNe as if it were gospel.