PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paying for your rating !!!
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2011, 10:35
Davjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are have been some excellent responses to the “paying for a rating” thread which has produced some great for and against statements. In my case I have approached numerous operators mainly part 91 in Europe. Below are just some of the responses I’ve encountered along the way:

· You need a type rating on this particular aircraft to at least be considered.
· The companies insurers won’t approve of taking you on because you do not have a type rating on the aircraft we operate.
· We don’t do a bonding program.
· We recently took someone on with a type rating on the aircraft.
· Go away and maybe get an SIC rating on a popular type to increases your chances, and this may be a cheaper option as opposed to getting a full rating, however by no means are we guaranteeing you a position once obtained. We now have your cv and will be in touch should a position become available.

So as you can see, this is perhaps why some people will consider doing a type rating to make themselves more marketable and to have a chance in getting a foot in the door. Not all of us have wealthy parents as someone commented smartly on here, it’s a risk one is willing to take to make a better life for themselves and pursue their passion. If all heads of flight departments had a similar mindset of say DA50driver then situations like this would not exist.

Another issue not mentioned here is the fact that most operators will only hire based on recommendation from their existing crews or ops people if a position becomes available. So therefore an aspiring Pilot not only has the type rating issue to contend with, but the issue of nepotism in some cases.

My Father once gave a piece of advice on his deathbed – “ Son opportunities don’t come often, so if one doesn't arise then you’ve got to create your own”