PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paying for your rating !!!
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2011, 08:27
His dudeness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over here, in old Europe, there is a certain class of operators that just aim at the inexperienced. They can pair them with equally inexperienced captains and let them pay for all trainings, medicals, typerating, upgrade, partially even for supervision.
If the operator has such crews, they are the ones that are easily forced to do things that others wouldnŽt do. Thats why one can see 6 passengers falling out of a CJ after a 1000nm trip with luggage for a 6 month long safari, thats why one can meet a crew that left homebase close to you after 22 hours with 10hrs flying time and no rest in a hotel etcetc.
The common thing is usually: you pay for your rating on the airplane, that generates hours without catering costs for the operator. Then you get promised ample hours either as a freelancer or with a contract. If you have a contract, then youŽll rot away in the office, since you are cheaper than a secretary and - heaven forbid - if there is a guy stuck in traffic, you can replace him quickly. If you are the freelance type, then you are expected to clean the airplane after a 18 hrs day not only inside, but also outside. You spend another 3 hrs doing that. For all of that you get crap money. The only thanks you get, is that you are get probably recalled.

(donŽt get me wrong, nothing essentially wrong with cleaning airplanes, thats how I financed my PPL, but not in your rest time after a long flight and the next T/O is already scheduled in the time youŽre supposed to sleep)

The crews help these operators to undercut decent operators. The crews do it because they think when they have the experience they can join good operators.

Meeeeep. WRONG!

There wonŽt be many around after you actively helped to cut them off their business.

IŽm with DA50, I wonŽt hire anyone who does SSTR. I know that there is an increasing number of DOs that develop backbone and try to fight these things. Probably not enough, but maybe eventually it will go in the right direction.

Just for info, all the things I mentioned above, I witnessed. We had an operator at the field I was based, that acted exactly as described. My boss closed down after long years, in which we often lost to this operator, especially flights to brokers (they have great share in this) and new clients. It takes a sometimes a long time, but after 20 years my boss thought its not worth anymore and closed the company. (there were other things involved, but just getting even for 3 years in a row was certainly one of them)