PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2011, 07:33
O'Neill No6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with Captplaystation et al

I find this thread very interesting. It brings back many memories of my experiences flying the type of aircraft involved in the Cork accident.

I was once flying single-crew south-bound down the east coast of England, en-route to Southend. Pre-departure forecasts had been perfectly acceptable for the safe completion of the flight. However,I began receiving weather reports for the whole of the south and south-east of England by volmet. All below minima, (600m required for our operation-no flight dir./autopilot btw) everywhere I checked below minima, you name it. I checked Luton (300m reducing), Birmingham (400m reducing). I reasoned that I was fast painting myself into a corner, I may be forced to make an approach below minimums. So I checked Manchester and it was 1200m and expected to remain so. Decision made and I made a landing a short time later in Manchester with a sensible reserve fuel remaining, Liverpool also being above minima should it have been required.

Once on the ground I called the airline. I was told that the Chief Pilot needed to speak to me, "go home by road, you're sacked!" was all he said! So, captplaystation I totally agree, look after your life first, licence second, then you still have both of these available to you to look for your next job.

Following this experience as I progressed in my career I realised that, unpleasant as it was, it was a great early lesson. My priorities were very firmly set on that day.

At this early stage in the investigation I am not suggesting that any of the above was the cause of the Cork accident btw. I have no knowledge of any of those concerned in Cork. Just thought it might be useful for some to realise the pressure of flying in some small airline operations. In particular with this sort of aircraft.

Look after yourselves guys.

O'Neill