PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2011, 03:34
avgenie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Turbine D
Appears you are one of the resident experts on engines. I understand the FAA's 2007's new ETOPS regulations require ETOPS certification even for four-engine airplanes if they will operate on ETOPS routes. I understand Boeing will be the first manufacturer to certify a four-engine airplane to ETOPS standards when it certifies the 747-8. I also learned from a book I recently read that Australia will require a similar certification for all airplanes including the 747, A380s in a few years. If so, reading your following comment:

So with the problems at the moment, there is a significant setback of the new engine sales break-even point and the service end of the business is getting hit with costs that were not expected. Both are negatives on the bottom line.

There is always the possibility that when all costs are added up and the program doesn't produce enough profitable sales in the long run, the money lost will never be recovered.
Will this looming ETOPS certification further worsen the cost situation? Thanks for your expertise