PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Exodus at Cebu Pacific
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2011, 03:08
Senior_Citizen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@takamasa .. so it seems.

(I posted an earlier reply, beats me why it didn't get through. Anyway, if I may recount...) This airline Cebu Pacific is among the few corners of the world where a Seniority System still breathes, courtesy of its pilots' union. It keeps a little order in terms of promotion and as a protection of their junior members, meaning - no one gets ahead of the others in the queue until his turn is up. It's an old system, however it serves as the foundation of the peaceful relationship they have with the guys who run the show.

It would be fun to spend a few flying years in the Philippines (my wife is a Filipina) but I wouldn't want to get in the way of the union in its struggle to look after the welfare of its members, by squeezing my way in. Not that it's going to be a hostile environment if I do, these pilots are still decent professionals, but I should care enough to help them make their goals. It's perfectly alright to start at the bottom though (is that the ATR First Officer position?) however, I have been around a little more than that.

@Chairwrecker.. I think it's the COO and the COA that are expats (among others) who are there in a consultancy capacity. Must be allowed by law, I don't really know.