PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 172 landing techniques - what is the difference?
Old 16th Feb 2011, 03:00
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
what happens if it fails? you'll land short and won't feel so clever.
Letting alone for the moment, my sensativity to over cooling, or shock cooling engines, I do not see it as much of a risk, in this sense - as long as your "aim point" is a little down the runway. If you open the throttle find it has quit (like a cub I used to fly), you're just going to land more short than you'd planned - there should still be some runway there. If the runway is so short that you are aiming for the button, I'm thinking that you want a power on approach for a precision touchdown, so you're covered.

It is always a choice to fly a slightly faster glide, and burn off the extra few knots in a last minute sideslip, or the flare. The effect will be similar to carrying power all the way down, though the plane will still slow down more quickly in the flare, so be ready, and not high.

If in doubt, carry some power. Particularly if the plane is unfamiliar, or the eye height is different to what you're used to. The power will give you time to "feel" for the runway, and if you muff it, the power is already resulting in the nose being higher, so the plane will be more tolerant of a premature touchdown.