PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Honduras plane crash
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2011, 01:32
bubbers44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree. Continental and us usually arrived at TGU within minutes of each other so this day it was VMC and continental was directly below us 1,000 ft so we were following them in as #2 to land. They decided, probably for training, to do the RNP arrival so we had to hover over them for several minutes for their 3+ mile excursion to the west for a long left base. We could have landed and parked by the time they landed on 02. I told our manager who was testing that approach for us what a waste of money and training it was for us to do the same thing. I told him I have landed here over 500 times and only one time had to divert. No airliner landed that day because of low ceilings. We didn't change our approaches and probably saved 100s of thousands of dollars. 90% of the landings are on 02 because of the prevailing wind and as you said the RNP approach doesn't help on 02.

I guess I took us off topic, sorry, but I don't think an RNP procedure would have helped them make a safer approach because even though they were doing the 20 approach, because of the north wind, they would have had to circle to 02.