PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paying for your rating !!!
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2011, 23:47
Davjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DA50driver

The points you raised are valid, but what is encountered these days when trying to secure a position doesn't seem to work the way it should as per the principals you stated (and I mean that respectfully).

For example and I'm guessing there are several of us who've experienced the same;

I've always been passionate about flying since a tiny lad, in fact my mother kept pieces of homework from my junior school days describing the life of a Pilot, and that has been my one and only ambition to this day. So in my early 20s I managed to secure a Bank loan to undertake my CPL (FAA) which I completed about 10 years ago. I applied to every company under the sun, whilst taking a permanent job in a seperate industry to pay off my training costs.

After a while all my applications were answered with - "do you have a Type rating?" I wasn't put off when the answer was (no offer) unless I undertook such training, even if I wanted to the Bank would not increase my loan agreement to fulfill this.

I'm now in my mid thirties and still applying almost daily. Nearly every operator I approach wants a Type Rating for the particular aircraft they fly with certain time on type to satisfy mainly the insurers as they say, and none have offered any bond scheme.

Whilst the situation worked out in your favour at that particular time you got your break, the current situation is not the same. I have witnessed numerous colleagues who graduated the same time I did, and who went on to do these self - funded ratings, and they're now either Captains or just turning into one.

In an ideal world your philosophy does make sense, but realistically if requested of me I would probably consider doing a rating. Time is not on my side, and I would potentially like to make a return on my investment.