PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hours building: Questions, Ideas, Advice, Countries etc
Old 6th Sep 2002, 15:45
ClearBlueWater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AS, I too am one of those ultra low time CPL (H) who despite the 'professional qualification' will not be looked at by an AOC holder, unlike any other profession where once qualified, well you're qualified and therefore fit to practise! I'm fully aware of the insurance problems faced by AOC holders in respect of employing low time pilots but it is hard to believe that low timers are not being taken of advantage of to some degree. I beleive the bottom line is that since year dot most helo pilots have come from a military background and therefore civilian employers have become accustomed to having highly experienced pilots dropped into their lap for free. There are few (I can't think of (M)any) professions or trades where highly qualified and experienced individuals come to commercial companies for free but this is not within the experience of variation operators. Time will change that but the change will be instigated by acceptance from the employers rather than more pleading from the low timers. If that means employers have to charge customers more to cover the higher insurance costs then that's what they'll have to do. Provided that helo operators are all playing the same game then the increase in price will be industry wide and no one will be unduly effected.

So, in essence I agree with RW-1 that the question should be answered by the operators rather than the junior pilots. If there were any tried and tested methods for junior pilots to build hours we'd all know about them by now. I don't hear anyone shouting?