PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair-Questions, comments, bouquets & brickbats (Merged) II
Old 15th Feb 2011, 22:02
davidjohnson6

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I understand that Ryanair gets well over 90% of its sales from its website. I believe that most LCCs either achieve or strive for a similiar figure.

I note also that for most LCCs, the booking part of the website is usually pretty reliable - conventional business theory says it's a good idea for a company to make it easy for its customers to spend money and buy the product. I realise that very high levels of reliability of a website also cost money

I know FR is very keen on keeping its costs as low as possible, but I would expect the unreliability of FR's booking website comes down to one or maybe a few root causes.

Does anyone know what these root causes are, and is there a plan to do anything about it ?
Is it
1 - Ryanair chose the absolute cheapest of solutions as offered by the vendor
2 - Ryanair doesn't have sufficient hardware to power the website
3 - The software vendor chosen is rubbish
4 - The support agreement in place is not sufficiently robust
5 - Ryanair's staff did a poor job of integrating the booking system into their existing IT systems
6 - The website was designed for 30 million sectors per year and either cannot be easily scaled up, or FR don't want to pay to scale it up ot the current 70+ million sectors per year
7 - There are a few known simple bugs in the booking system for which the vendor is asking for absurdly large sums of money to fix
8 - Ryanair doesn't care about its sales system
9 - Something else