PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hours building: Questions, Ideas, Advice, Countries etc
Old 6th Sep 2002, 15:15
RW-1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gee, a double edged sword for us low timers.

Ask for the pay, even at a reasonable level, and likely someone else will get the position for less, or for free.

If I take a job that pays me 35,000/yr, I'll get chastized by those who "wouldn't take that job, I'm worth more than that" types with 7K hours, to whom the job isn't targeted to to begin with.

From my point of view that 35K job is slightly more than I make now, PLUS I'm now paid TO fly.

I'm not knocking your point Arraitch, it is valid. However "but in effect they are getting the lowest standard of workmanship from somebody" is something I take issue to, when I fly, I will fly to the best of my abilities, no matter what I make doing it. If the workmanship is substandard, it is due to being accepted for the job that is beyond my scope. See below.

Positions are open all over the place, and no one to fill them, this makes the operators lower the time requirements, and then people scream how badly it will become with lower time guys and gals doing that job, etc.

So AS, I believe your article has to be bent towards the operators out there. They will have to come up with an alternative for the gang like me who are up and coming. We are the ones who eventually will be filling those positions. No one has yet come up with any viable alternatives, my stance is a return to internships that payoff for operator and upcomng pilot alike.

Last edited by RW-1; 6th Sep 2002 at 17:06.