PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 172 landing techniques - what is the difference?
Old 15th Feb 2011, 16:15
Mark1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tend towards a 'glide', approach by default because of primacy - it's what I was taught from the get-go. I can do whatever, but I really hate seeing aircraft dragged in on a long flat approach against full flap at (it seems inevitably) high airspeed. I've heard this described as a 'stabilised' approach, but to me it just looks like bad flying. Sorry.

Getting that off my chest, there was a point Two actually!
1) For me, the gliding range arguament is more about keeping the circuit sensible, rather than leaving the ATZ on every lap.
2) Given my 'primacy', I'm quite happy putting the plane where I want it (almost) every time off a glide. Usually I start somewhat high, and sideslip the excess. I'm actually more inclined to make a horlicks of it if I try the powered variant - so is it that the powered variant is more/less accurate, or is it just that you do what you're used to better than what you're not?
2.5) Airspeed and AOA ought to be entirely independent of the glide vs powered arguament. Pick an airspeed and stick to it either way, and know why you picked that..