PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 172 landing techniques - what is the difference?
Old 15th Feb 2011, 14:01
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an addendum

I never understand pilots who claim gliding distance in the event of an engine failure as an arguement to support this method.

The least likely period for an engine failure is in the relatively low powered approach and landing phase.

Infact in a glide approach with the throttel closed you wouldnt know that you had an engine problem until you needed the power?

You are more likely to misjudge your glide and end up missing the numbers or too fast trying to get the numbers or floating down the runway admiring the scenery than in a powered approach.

I fully understand that instructors dont want students in high power high drag situations so the safest way for the inexperienced is a glide approach well away from HAOA situations.

For more experienced pilots juggle airframe potential energy and engine energy and drag to your advantage. It is far more accurate precise and ultimately safe method as well as giving more airfow over the wings, elevator, and rudder!

Pace