PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Whistling wheelbarrow"
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2011, 13:28
ICM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Belatedly catching up on this thread - my first Nav tour was on 105 (year unaccompanied) then 267. (For JW411: I see that we first crewed together on 11 Dec 66, a Bahrain Overflight, which I think was a Route Check all concerned expected would raise me from my ex-OCU D to C Cat, but didn't! I fear that my glazed response to your "Reaction to an overspeeding prop?" question didn't help.)

I can add a bit to previous posts. November 66 - my first trip, screened of course, down to Matsapa for the regular resupply run to Francistown, where the anti-UDI radio mentioned earlier had been established. Landing back at Matsapa, the aircraft lurched to one side, was corrected, and we taxied in to find both tyres on one side burst, and severe scorches on the other. No doubt a bit of brake on touchdown? So, end of resupply runs till new tyres could arrive and Dip Clear times meant that was at least a week away. The copilot and I blagged a flight to Jo'burg on one of the Aero Commander Air Taxi aircraft that flew into Matsapa; quick night there then on by train to Pretoria, where we presented ourselves, all unbidden, at the Air Adviser's door. Fortunately, he and his wife were the spirit of hospitality and, next day, he flew us back to Matsapa on the ex-Queen's Flight Heron (still bright red) that was his personal aircraft - so we know that was a time ago now!

Another Argosy duly arrived with tyres and wheel-changing kit - and I only mention that as I understand that, on a previous occasion, a flight laid on to bring a replacement windscreen from Khormaksar had arrived without it! Anyway, with the aircraft, came a signal from HQ MEAF saying get both aircraft serviceable and await instructions. These were not long in coming: two further aircraft were on their way and all four would be used to evacuate the Army battalion based in Swaziland (1st Royal Irish Fusiliers) to Durban, where they would embark on HMS "Fearless" for transit to Aden, and recovery from there to the UK. Sanctions were about to be imposed on Rhodesia by HMG; the reaction of South Africa and Portugal, still the colonial power in Mozambique, was uncertain; and it was clearly felt that the British battalion could become something of a hostage if things went badly. Our CO, Eddie Rigg, came down to be Det Cdr and, still with my D Cat, I was made Ops Officer and general Army Liaison for Op LOPEN that followed. So, the planned 6 or so-day trip extended over nearly 4 weeks before my return to base.

The routing on Ferry flights back to the UK changed, I think permanently, in early Feb 67. I was scheduled for one, overflying Egypt as normal, when clearance for any such overflights by British military aircraft was withdrawn. Egypt was almost certainly instigating/supporting much of the difficulties in South Yemen at the time, and I guess the diplomatic atmosphere had frozen somewhat. We then had to replan via the CENTO route, await the requisite DipClears; and on 15 Feb we set off for Sharjah/Teheran/ Diyarbakir/ Akrotiri/Luqa/Benson. And variations on that were used for the remaining few months or so of 105's time at Khormaksar, before the earlier than planned move to Muharraq from July 67.

Possibly enough for now - maybe more later - but I have to say that I found the Argosy an excellent aircraft on which to build experience, and the airdrop time I put in on it put me nicely in the running for an exchange tour on the C-141A a little later on.