PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AFPS - Hobson's Choice?
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2011, 11:25
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exiled: That said I think that there would be hell to pay were there not to be a salary rise in the event of its removal.
Yup.

In essence, the increased accrual rate of a Career Average scheme over a Final Salary scheme can only count in your favour if you plan on not getting promoted and are getting out. Hence my earlier point. The only doubt that I see, and taking into account the 2004 legislation, is whether or not enrolment into the new scheme is going to be at the end of a rifle barrel for everyone, or a fountain pen barrel for only those when signing on or accepting a new engagement/promotion.

EQPD magazine has a useful piece on pension reform btw (thanks PJ).

EQPD

Edit: Having spoken about this in jest previously, I have just read this with a sense of foreboding. A colleague I have just been discussing AFPS with (when it comes to crazy work place atmospheres, this place is really up there) has just handed me a copy of this:

Study wants public sector to enter Nest - Pensions Management - the magazine for pension & investment industry professionals

To go from a gold plated pension to this would be a bit of kick in the slats - especially for those in their early 50s who would have to pick up the high early NEST running costs to cover initial overheads.

NEW REPORT: Self-sufficiency is the key

http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.o...gs-trust-(nest)

Last edited by Al R; 15th Feb 2011 at 11:48.