PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia Psychometric Testing
Old 15th Feb 2011, 05:28
YAASB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assessment Days

Regarding the testing day, we were asked not to inform other candidates about the datails of the day in order to keep it even keel for all... however, there's nothing to stress about. All the assessors (spelling?) are very friendly and happy to have a chat... During the day at lunch and morning tea I had the opportunity to talk to the other candidates and the assessors, I recommend you do this if you get the chance you should, and more importantly, listen to what they say (lots of good advice)...
Hello All,

I am one of the ATC Assessors involved with the ATC Selection Programme.
What Kieran has posted above is very true, we do not want in depth details of the day revealed.

Two main reasons for this.

1. Spreading the information lessens the impact of the day, allowing people an opportunity to do better than you might have done. Remember that there is usually a few weeks between the assessment centres and the offers! Also, the scenarios do change slightly from centre to centre; deliberately, to mitigate the chatting between candidates. If we feel that there is a candidate with prior knowledge then things will be quite different for them!

2. Your interpretation of the day may actually be quite different to the way we, the assessors, saw it. There has been several people who walked out at the end of the day thinking they had excelled, but won't be getting a place on a course. The reality is, you don't actually know what it is we are looking for. And I am not about to tell you....

What I will say is that the people that conduct the Assessment Centres are all wonderful people and are spending a lot of time (usually away from home) trying to find the right people for the job. Take the time to chat with them during the breaks and lunch, we are more than happy to have a chat and provide an insight.

Here are some tips for those soon to be assessed.

*Try and visit a Centre or Tower, if you haven't already. It is good to be able to relate to the job you have applied for.

*On the day, be yourself. Its that simple. Don't pretend to be someone you think we want to see.

*Keep going. It is a deliberately long day. If a session didn't go too well, don't drop your bundle. Move on and do your best in the next exercise.

*Be proud that you have got this far, it is an achievement in itself.

The next assessment centre is in Melbourne in March, maybe I will meet some of you there.

In the mean time if you have any questions, feel free to post, email or PM me.

Cheers,

Boonie.