PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2011, 02:35
apache

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
caught the last 45 mins of that. well done to Geoff.
It is a pity that he could not answer the question on why REX found themselves so short of pilots a few years ago.
one aspect that has been missed, I think, is that airlines themselves admit that good airmanship and technical knowledge is a MUST.
I know that in most cases, airlines actually admit this in a small phrase in the front of either the QRH or SOP's, when they state that they are unable to anticipate and write procedures for ALL emergencies, therefore airmanship/knowledge/experience should be diligently used (or words to that effect).
With respect to the american(?) news report into pilot fatigue, I wonder if they would like a copy of the Wagga Wagga PRIME news piece about pilots and Flight attendants being Forced to stay in sub-standard accommodation as part of their MANDATED crew rest? the student accommodation is barely better than the crew room. At least in the crew room, you would have access to nearby shops for food and drink.

Maybe some background of how the "10 hours may be reduced to 9hours free of duty if it encompasses the hours of 2200-0600 local" rule came about? How iot was a trade off YEARS ago by airlines/pilots so that they COULD operate that first flight back in the morning without costing the companies exorbitant amounts of money.... BUT, it was supposed to be only used for ONE sector, as the pilot was having MINIMUM rest! This has now been abused by companies the country over to get that extra drop of blood from the stone.

Looks like the senators are finally asking some good questions, and they are starting to listen!