PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NZ Flyers - Any Good Cross Country Recomendations?
Old 14th Feb 2011, 20:59
flyinkiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly from the Tron and its not hard as long as you study the approach procedures well and don't arrive between 4-5pm when the circuit gets real busy.

Places I recommend:

New Plymouth: Jim Hickey runs a nice cafe and its (the airport I mean) generally pretty quiet.
Tauranga: The cafe at the Classic Fliers museum is good but the airspace is normally quite busy on fine days and there are VFR approach procedures to follow, so study up and be prepared to orbit a lot.
Ardmore: Haven't been there for some time so I cannot comment on the cafe at the Auckland Aero Club, but at least they have one. The best thing about Ardmore is that on the fine weekends you get to see some amazing aircraft being lovingly restored/cleaned/flown by their respective owners. Take a camera.
Raglan: Having the township less than 5 mins walk from the airstrip is brilliant! Large selection of eateries and drinkeries to suit most tastes. Don't forget to pay the $5 at the Camp Ground.
Pauanui Beach: Cafes/Bar/Beach only 3-5 mins walk from the airfield. No landing fees.