PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To be or not to be...an ATCO
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2011, 15:23
Track Coastal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike Retired ATC
Air Traffic Control is a very dynamic job, you can go from working very slow traffic to working heavy traffic in a matter of minutes (feast or famine), then back to slow traffic, you have to be able to immediately adjust. The weather will either make your job more difficult or easy depending on whether the day is sunny with light winds or you have low ceilings and thunderstorms, or snow showers, etc.

I retired after 25 years as a Tower and Radar Approach Controller, and I miss working aircraft, but I don't miss the management BS. Yes the rotating shift work was difficult, I missed a lot of family events, but I provided a good income and way of life for my family.
...covers it nicely.

Its good coin for a very satisfying job. When its quiet one can get grumpy with some bird that thinks 'maintain speed 210kts' is only a suggestion. When its busy and he can't play you just take him out of the sequence, waaaay too much going on to baby Capt Ego.

Bottom line mate is YOU may not cut the mustard. I understand 6% of the pop have the skillset. Lots of commercial pilot licences in ATC (got the cash, get the licence), lots of CPLs that fail. Your question should be 'are you good enough?"

So maybe your reservations are premature.