PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another nail in the coffin for GA and recreational Aviation
Old 14th Feb 2011, 07:10
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evans Head Airport Future

For those who really want Evans Head Airport to remain I can feel for you all. Old Bar Heritage Airstrip, which has been in place since the late 1920's first came under threat in 1932. Over the years it was threatened by various organisations, including Greater Taree City Council. It was in fact arbitrarily closed at the end of 1994. Six years of struggle followed and with the support of such aviation luminaries as the late Nancy Bird-Walton and Dick Smith, an uncompromising band of Old Bar Airstrip supporters and the NSW Heritage Office the Old Bar Airstrip was reopened in 2000. A small group of volunteers, almost entirely at their own cost, maintain this historic airstrip. I personally fly into Old Bar as often as possible. It is an awsome responsibility to keep this facility operating. If the Evan Head enthusiasts are willing to accept that sort of committment and can solicit the support of the aviation community Evans Head can be saved. PM me if you want to know moreabout Old Bar Airstrip.