PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How a blown engine won Airbus a $3.5 billion deal
Old 14th Feb 2011, 07:01
keesje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi avgenie,

I think I nowhere said ETOPS existed or the A300 got ETOPS in the seventies.

I said "in 1977, the A300B4 became the first “ETOPS compliant” aircraft – its high performance and safety standards qualified it for Extended Twin Engine Operations over water, providing operators with more versatility in routing."

Nothing wrong with that. It's not in the name.

Then you stated:

4. The book shows Airbus picked on ETOPS because Airbus thought this was the only way to save the A340.
5. Having fought against ETOPS for long-range operations and lost, Airbus followed Boeing and launched the A350XWB, a twin for long-range operations.
4. seems inaccurate because Airbus pioneered extented twin engine operations with wide bodies and before the 777 with the A330 too.

5. incorrect also, it totally ignores the A330. Which seem Boeing policy in all their comparisons / PR. They focussed on the A340. Maybe to avoid people noticing the 787 has the same dimensions, configuration and missions.

I think the A330 and A340 are variant from the same concept roll from the same production line. "Just" 379 is far from a disaster.