PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How a blown engine won Airbus a $3.5 billion deal
Old 14th Feb 2011, 03:39
avgenie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote: DERG
Don't believe what you read. Very few books are without some kind of agenda.For companies that do the long treks FOUR engines always will be better. Airlines like JAL, Singapore, Qantas and South African.The 747-800 is, in my opinion, THE global proven airframe,
Agree, can't believe everything we read specially in Internet. You may want to check but I think the airlines you mention operate 777s also on long range overwater routes. There is no question, 747 is a great airplane.

I know for some of us it is difficult to think otherwise but I think the new conclusion is: it is not a matter of number of engines but how reliable they are. You may remember from history that Dornier DO X had 12 engines, but a great disappointment.

Quote: keesje
I have to agree to not believing all you read......Airbus broke open the widebody twin market with the A300, in the seventies....In 1977, the A300B4 became the first “ETOPS compliant” aircraft.....Bottom line in the news quoted is that the 777 has outsold the 340 six to one. 379 A340's were sold, do the math..
You have proved that you should not believe all you read....

There was nothing called ETOPS back in the 1977!!!! ETOPS regulations came around 1985. So just because it is in Wiki doesn't mean it is necessarily correct

Similarly, "Bottom line in the news quoted is that the 777 has outsold the 340 six to one" is not correct. May need some fact checking

This is what Mr. Pandey's book " How Boeing Defied the Airbus Challenge" says:

Pg. 135 : "by February 2010, airlines had ordered nearly three times more 777s than the A340s."
Pg 17: "As of February 2010, the total orders for the entire Airbus 340 family were only 378"

I think this is right, Boeing has sold around one thousand 777s.

As to the A300, the book says:

Pg vii: "Airbus showed great vision by bringing out a big two-engine airplane (twin), the A300, in the early 1970s before any of the established behemoths had the foresight to do it."