PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots didn't know about evacuation
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2011, 02:35
SlideBustle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be honest, she didn't say she would ''do the same'' she would ''consider''... if there was a different situation it may be worse... that is what she could of meant.. although of course she could have made the statement that she would do the same in that EXACT situation - which I would hope would have been addressed.

I think, 411A you are being a bit harsh here... Hopefully this SCCM hasn't seen your comments they would probably be mortified! This SCCM did not show terrible safety standards... as stated overreacted... crew CAN initiate an evacuation if they think it is life threatening... OK in this situation it was probably a bit OTT - however the perception of life threatening varies from person to person. If she had evacuated due to a bit of steam coming from the cottage pie in the ovens then I would be thinking some retraining is needed.

It is right she should and could have spoke to the Flight Crew - CRM broke down, however this situation is nowhere near as bad as many CRM breakdowns from the Flight Crew members in many accidents who didn't take situations seriously and this caused loss of lives.

Not excusing the loss of CRM or overreaction however to insult someones intelligence when infact, they were acting in good faith - ie ensuring safety. OK there was injuries and in this case the risk of injuries WAS greater than staying onboard so probably not the best. However who knows what she thought when she was stood at Doors 1 looking aft, passengers in aisle, pilots not responding to the alert call on interphone (it mentions this in the report)

However I think this discussion is good so that we (both sides of the FD door at all airlines) can learn from these incidents improving CRM.