PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot wages VS other jobs
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2011, 19:30
OutsideCAS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys/Gals - I don't think that anyone would genuinely deny the fact that £45k is a lot of money BUT when talking about salary in the world of Flight Crew, a captain's salary of £45k is just simply wrong !

Think about it - I appreciate that the national average salary may well be £26k or whatever, but remember - in MOST, NOT ALL, there is no requirement to initially invest sums ranging from £40k to £100k (estimate) in order to get the basic right to fly commercially. Therefore, as I said earlier, with the fact as Flight Crew we could end up unemployed through health, accident etc., the salary should reflect this fact. It would pay management at companies like RYR and EZY etc. to remember that whilst they use various facts like oversupply of cadets, global recession and alike to fuel and justify their cost-cutting tactics, as a largely professional bunch that "that gets the job done", when things improve (and they will) it's going to get mighty difficult to crew those empty birds sat rotting on the apron - don't see the profitability in that now ! In essence, they need to look at the long-term effects of what they're doing NOW and redress the balance.

As for all these cadets coming through paying vast sums to LoCo's - are you really furthering your careers ?? Or are you setting up a short-term gain for a long-term loss ?? your choice of course, and passengers will happily fly with you subsidising their ticket cost, and management relish the thought of your coffers entering the company accounts and furnish ever present large performance bonuses.