PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To be or not to be...an ATCO
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2011, 19:02
Brian 48nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
To be or not etc

Gosh Bren,how did you get away with all that skiving? Though in fairness I can't remember working many Christmas Days - as I'm such a miserable old scrooge at that time of year the family always wished I had!

In my previous career I turned down a few good trips,a 3 week jaunt to the Solomons,a 2 week trip to Acapulco to name but two, because I wanted to be at at home with the gorgeous Mrs W - mind you when Robin was in his first 18 months I could have volunteered for an unaccompanied post somewhere.

I enjoyed my 34 years in aviation, would have been 41 but for the medical 'early-go', apart from loathing West Drayton. I could not stand working in what seemed like a factory,set in the middle of that awful council estate - before you all think I'm a snob I'd grown-up(?) on one - especially after the fantastic green places I'd served on in the RAF,...South Cerney,Gaydon,Thorney Island,Changi, Fairford,Lyneham etc.

But back to the thread,ATC is a great job and I never tired of talking to the aeroplanes; as far as boring is concerned I used to say to U/Ts 'even after 30 years I learn something new everyday'. Why anyone would want to put on a suit and tie and go into an office job was always beyond me. In fact I feel so strongly about it that I believe no licensed ATCO should volunteeringly be allowed to hang up their headset until they are way past 50. There should be no place for the Paul Reids(sp) and Bristols etc except for in front of an operational position.

IMHO most of the office jobs do not need specific ATC experience and could be done by clerical staff earning far less than controllers at the 'coal face', and no fat bonuses either!

So to the undecided originator of the thread I would say,if you think you may only want to do the job for 10 years,forget it.