PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2011, 16:36
Annex14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rollercoaster

Reading myself after several days of absence through the meanwhile placed 75 posts, I got a bit the feeling of a rollercoaster. There are - as usual one is tempted to say - many well founded posts with useful information. But there were - once again - amusing attempts of a peeing competition recognizable, who and where and on which side of the pond the best engines are made. Finally I reconned also some useless baloneys. Thought we are a rather professional circle.

That all reminded me to Murphys law, not the short version but the one Robert Murphy, Edīs son has passed on:

"If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then somebody will do it that way."

I believe excactly that killed engine #2 on QF 32.

I also think that it is the centre point the discussion in this thread has disclosed. I believe that those possible root causes or contributing causes identified can be listed this way.
- vibration of unexpected strength and probably unknown origin
- problems with the oil system
- probably problems with the bearings
- known and probably also in this model existing problems with oil vent tubes
- unexpected problems with stiffness or strength of the support structure of
bearing chambers

One word to the idea of an external switch somewhere close to the engine or pylon. I would like to meet that hero that is willing to get so close to a running engine of that size to activate that switch.
Another word: I emphatically agree in the reluctancy of NoD to rely on a "fully automated robot". In my opinion any computer or automatic device can be only as good as the brain that has desighned it (s.a. Murphys Law).
Therefore any artificial intelligence needs a human brain controlling it.