PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Somali Pirates
Thread: Somali Pirates
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2011, 15:38
baffy boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selective quotation!

I think what is missing is what he actually said!

'Speaking on behalf of BSC members, he said international naval forces, including the Royal Navy, need to attack the giant floating bases, which have recently enabled pirates to threaten an area of the sea the size of the United States'.

That's a bit different from how this thread was started isn't it? He was asking for action from international forces not just the Royal Navy. Fair enough idea I would have thought (not that it's a new idea of course, and neither are mother ships, but if anyone thinks an international task organisation is going to authorise the use of deadly force on mother ships they really have no idea about the way things are done and probably won't know what POLADs LEGADs or ROE really are either.

While I am here by the way, on one of the few occasions kinetic action was taken by a unit (outwith an international task force) a crew of 20 odd innocent Thai fishermen died.

Unfortunately charging around shooting people isn't the way to solve the problem. It, and the issues that gave rise to it, have to be tackled at source and the truth is that it's probably easier to allow companies to shell out a few million every now and then than to open what would be a huge can of worms by trying to sort Somalia out.