PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To be or not to be...an ATCO
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2011, 14:18
Mike_Retired_ATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John,
If shift work upsets your body clock, adversely affects your sleep pattern and tends to make you depressed then ATC is not for you. If you become easily bored and distracted then ATC is not for you.

Air Traffic Control, whether it is ACC, Approach, or tower is a 24/7 job that required a high level of dilligence, expertise, and the ability not allow distractions to distract you from performing your job.

Air Traffic Control is a very dynamic job, you can go from working very slow traffic to working heavy traffic in a matter of minutes (feast or famine), then back to slow traffic, you have to be able to immediately adjust. The weather will either make your job more difficult or easy depending on whether the day is sunny with light winds or you have low ceilings and thunderstorms, or snow showers, etc.

I retired after 25 years as a Tower and Radar Approach Controller, and I miss working aircraft, but I don't miss the management BS. Yes the rotating shift work was difficult, I missed a lot of family events, but I provided a good income and way of life for my family.