PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2011, 14:03
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QF32 had a major problem with its monitoring and fuel control vv shutdown in the first place. Problem solved (?) with new software. #2 should have shutdown well before Burst. That was danger enough to have brought down this flight.
I am with you, losing #1 due auto shutdown would have been not good
I have not followed this thread to the detail of you / some others.

However, what you/others seem to be saying here/previously is that there is software in the Trent that can shut the engine down automatically. Such software failed in this case to act, and was rapidly modified post event. That such software exists was "news" to me, and I would be nervous unless it was 100% bullet proof. It should not be there to "protect" the engine, but solely to prevent "in extremis" failures that will result in serious uncontainned failures. Else there is a risk it mirrors:
losing #1 due auto shutdown would have been not good
- the day we get engines auto-shutting down unnecessarily is a bad day... automation gone too far.

All it needs is an external valve that rescuers can access.
Complete and utter waste of time, safety-wise. If the recuers can reach the engine, they will have got the pax out first. Little safety benefit, might save a bit of fuel / noise and get aircraft moved earlier, maybe save an airframe. But not people.

If the ATSB cannot mandate this VITAL shutdown device they are superflous to the industry...
Disagree 100%, suspect we'll leave it at that