PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots didn't know about evacuation
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2011, 13:42
Georgeablelovehowindia
Death Cruiser Flight Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, so lessons learned, or perhaps re-learned with regard to the importance of CRM, and no great harm done, eh? The passengers involved will no doubt have subsequently expressed their gratitude in letters to Thomson.

I'm being cynical, of course. In these litigious times the writs claiming for distress and injury will have been descending like snowflakes from the sky. I can only guess what the eventual settlement bill will run to, probably well into six figures. Yes, really.

It happened to my airline, in different circumstances - an inflight engine shutdown - a breakdown in CRM, and the senior cabin crew member, on her own initiative, having the passengers assume the 'brace' position for the landing. Again, no physical harm done, but the writs for distress duly came snowing in, and the eventual legal bill was a jaw-dropper.

Edited to add that I'm not saying that the financial implications of one's actions should sway anyone away from having the passengers' well-being in mind first, last, and always. It's just a sad reflection on our times.

Last edited by Georgeablelovehowindia; 13th Feb 2011 at 13:57.