PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career advice please
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2002, 03:46
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'day Auspilot,

Don't get too discouraged by some of the posts you read here.

My advice is to have another job while you do your training. Don't get yourself into too much debt as your first job usually won't pay much, and be prepared to go bush for a couple of years after you have completed it. After that Cairns or Darwin should be your next place to gain some multi-engine command time. Try and avoid flying jobs in your early career that only gives you F/O experience, as this will be a hindrance for that job with QF or CX down the road because you won't have much command experience. Instructing is OK. I did it for six years and then charter for four. I was also Chief Pilot for the last company, which operated C310's up to C404's. I employed a number of ex-instructors and never had any problems with them fitting into the charter environment. Most of them though came from instructing jobs that also gave them charter experience, ie, flying schools outside the capital cities. I think doing your JAA or UK subjects is a good idea. You may be able to do them in Aus at BAE Systems Adelaide. Give them a call.

Good luck with your training. When trying for that first job, don't get discouraged by all the knock backs. Remain positive and keep trying. We have all been there.