PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot wages VS other jobs
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2011, 11:21
OutsideCAS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the point these days is missed - one or two of the problems these days is that due to increased aircraft reliability, improved avionics etc. etc., is that on an average day most pilots can fly aircraft without too much difficulty....this in turn is seen by company bean counters as meaning the job is no longer as "hard" as maybe it used to be, and use this coupled with many individuals desire to become a commercial pilot, in order to reduce costs in the company, boost profitability and thus on meeting targets, line their own pockets at someone elses expense (okay, maybe that is a little simplistic but the general idea is there).

Now, one thing that is totally forgotten - as a crew on the flight deck of whatever aircraft you fly, regardless of aircraft age, equipment and everything else - YOU are RESPONSIBLE for the safety and legality of that aircraft (well, certainly as a Captain) - and that my friends is a hell of a thing and should be very much in mind when accepting an awful salary with crappy T & C - I think that these days that MAY be one of the reasons companies like Ryanair get away with awful deals, because the above isn't fully appreciated. Oh, you can bet when and if the **** hits the fan, the cheapskates will be looking VERY closely at crew error as this usually represents the weakest link in getting out of regulatory/financial penalty. That risk we bear as a crew SHOULD be mitigated by decent T & C - after all, lose your health, licence or any number of other things, and it's goodbye career - won't happen to "Mr Beancounter" if his pen breaks, or he messes up a monthly report now will it ?

Food for thought ? I'd hope so, but let's see