PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How a blown engine won Airbus a $3.5 billion deal
Old 13th Feb 2011, 05:02
avgenie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote: @oceancrosser
While there aren't any more A340s in the pipeline, the line is NOT closed, because it is also the A330 line - the two types have always been complementary and until the ETOPS criteria were relaxed, the 4-engined solution was essential for long sectors overwater or above sparsely-inhabited areas. How Boeing got the rules relaxed was at one time a source of comment and questions, but in any case the combined A330/A340 approach, with a near-common wing has proved its worth,.....

I recently finished reading a fascinating book "How Boeing Defied the Airbus Challenge" by Mohan Pandey, a retired Boeing executive. This book is about last 20-years of Boeing Airbus ETOPS Battle. Now I feel I am an expert on ETOPS, and would like to offer a few comments :

1. The ETOPS rule came out in the1980's before the launch of A330/A340. The rule permitted twins to fly over long sectors overwater or above sparsely-inhabited areas. So strictly speakingthe 4-engined solution was NOT essential for long sectors overwater or above sparsely-inhabited areas at the time A340 came into airline operations. Airbus launched the A340 for a different strategic reason.
2. The book contends that the 777 vanquished the A340.
3. The book is all about Boeing Airbus fight over ETOPS. A market for billions of dollars.
4. The book shows Airbus picked on ETOPS because Airbus thought this was the only way to save the A340.
5. Having fought against ETOPS for long-range operations and lost, Airbus followed Boeing and launched the A350XWB, a twin for long-range operations.