PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RA-Aus Instructor Rating
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2011, 22:20
BloggsJnr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DarkSarcasm,

Is the course something you can do 1-2 days per week over a long period or does it need to be done in an intensive block?
I would say yes, and no: the theory/classroom sections can be done over a period of time, as they require that you learn the theory thoroughly, develop and then deliver the classroom briefings. The practical side should be done in as short a time as possible, you will develop more quickly through intensive flying sequences than if you do one or two flights per weekend.

What are the prospects are of being employed as an instructor if you can only work 1-1.5 days per week?
I would say relatively high: training facilities tend to be busier at weekends, so that's where there's more demand for instructors.

How much does it cost to do the course?
Somewhere around $5-6,000.

How do you assess if you'd be suited to instructing?
  • You want to learn more and enjoy sharing your knowledge with others.
  • Someone at your flight facility has suggested you might be a good instructor
  • You have your license and are left thinking: I like this flying stuff, but I need a reason to get out to the airfield each weekend
  • You can converse with people of all ages and backgrounds, especially about aviation

I obtained an RAAus instructor rating with relatively low flying experience, and have learnt so much from the experience. There's no substitute for "recency" in aviation, and you'll get the by the bundle! But most importantly, you need to have a great mentor in your CFI, because the rating is only the beginning, there's so much to still learn and you'll need that mentor to help you through.

All the best!