PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singapore Cargo Rumours (early 2010)
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2011, 21:09
Phantom Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a topic in the Rumours and News section of PPRuNe (alleged solo napping by SAS pilot) and I have to laugh at some of the reasons people have listed for not obtaining rest on layovers. Remember Anchorage? There was a place that ticked all the boxes. Summertime: Almost 24 hour daylight, trains blaring their horns from 4am onwards, heavily-laden light aircraft whipping past the window 18 hours a day, fighters from the Elmendorf AFB going "straight up" to 50,000', tourist coaches outside from the early hours running their aircon in preparation for their customers, a constant stream of loud-talking (deaf) tourists passing by your door at all hours, security standing outside your room with their "walkie talkies" set on max volume
Now you're bringing tears to my eyes with all that nostalgia; I really do miss all that stuff (honest!). A trip to F Station or Humpy's usually solved the insomnia problems.. If you were really bored, you could even try ABC; a hardy bunch there, "performing" in the depths of Alaskan winter (minus 20C on a good night).

In summer, reindeer hot dogs at the stands on 5th Avenue were pretty good too. Then go for a bike ride on the coastal trail to burn off the calories, after which off to LA or Dallas for another 2 day layover. Good old days!

(p.s the notes under the door (often lots) and flashing message light did sometimes take the shine off things a bit, but what the hell, life's got to have a few drawbacks