PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 5
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2011, 20:57
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MME has the airfield equivalent of Alzheimers. In its current state it's just a matter of time before it expires. It's staffed by far too many nice people but managed by a team bordering on the criminally insane. But it does have a choice. I'd suggest that it should become a LoCo airport (for airlines). And that doesn't mean you screw the punters! Instead, you combine the entire operation into catering/cleaners/check-in/loaders/security/push-back - everybody doing every job. Make the place a spotters paradise, have a pub on the roof, watch the aircraft come and go and because of the low staff costs (because there are so few) staff, money might actually be made. And there are other opportunies. How about market gardening in the green bits airside? Or even selling rabbit hunting rights? (sort of kidding - but have you seen how many there are?) And don't forget to make it attractive to the passengers, which is the reason it exists. Most GUM clinics would be more pleasant places to spend time. And I'm not talking about more staff, just an appropriate place for passengers to wait for their flights.

Ever since it changed it's name it has gone downhill. I remember one of the prats responsible having a go at me when I called it Darlington Municipal Aerodrome on a PA. I think he had to give his car key back for an unrelated offence a few weeks later. But it should be a brilliant little local airport and it could do so much more airport. Why doesn't it?

PM

Last edited by Piltdown Man; 15th Feb 2011 at 08:38.